Amongst services we provide are
- Personal care support (incontinence pad changes, catheter emptying, support with other toileting needs)
- Freshly cooked meals prepared for lunch and breakfast.
(Lunches are healthy and culturally appropriate, including curry and rice).
- Support at meal times
- Group exercise sessions are suitable for adults who may be less mobile.
- Regular support with prayers and pre-prayer ablutions in our on-site, purpose build prayer rooms. (Although our users are predominantly Muslim, the service is open to people of all beliefs).
- Regular Bengali and other music sessions take place.
- Regular complementary health and massage sessions on-site.
- Weekly shopping trips for users at shopping locations around East London.
- Regular trips to parks, seaside, etc.
- Making services accessible to users, such as DWP Pensions Service, opticians, dentists, chiropodists.
- Hairdressing on-site.
- The Day Centre works with local schools from time to time, bringing enjoyable intergenerational contact with young people.
- The Day Centre also organises and hosts information discussion sessions on health and self-help, promoting health awareness and independence.
The centre is fully wheelchair accessible. Staff speak English, Bengali and Urdu. Door to door service is available for users via the Centre’s minibus transport. Personal Welfare Benefit checks can also be arranged through St Hilda’s Advice Service.
Who is it for?
All adults who experience barriers to achieving their social support needs. The service is predominantly used by older people from the Bangladeshi community but is open and welcoming to others.
To use our services
Users are currently mostly referred through social services. However, we very much welcome Personal Budget Holders. Please contact Enayet Sarwar (Elders Care Manager) by phone or email. We will then ask for a copy of your assessment and support plan, and complete our own assessment (usually by a home visit) before you start attending. This is to make sure that we can meet your needs. You are welcome to visit Sonali Gardens at any stage of this process, to see if you would like to come regularly.
What is the cost?
With transport to and from the centre, £55.39 on weekdays and £74.51 on weekends. Without use of our transport, £51.39 on weekdays and £68.54 on weekends.
Opening hours: 10:00 am to 4:00 pm
Telephone: 020 7265 9211
Address: Sonali Gardens, 79 Tarling Street, London E1 0AT